After years of being relegated behind the statement earring, statement necklaces are starting to make a comeback. Having scoured the Spring Summer 2019 catwalks, I'm seeing many fashion houses include a chunky necklace, long necklaces and layered necklace as part of their offerings.
So here's my take on the best way to work this piece of jewellery.
Tips and guidelines for styling your statement necklace
- Stand out pieces have the most impact when styled with a simple outfit such as a plain crew neck jumper, a white shirt or anything black.
- They can work against a print or pattern, just aim for one metal tone in a bold style- as opposed to a big floral or beaded number to avoid cluttering the jewellery against the print.
- Keep the rest of your jewellery simple, especially your earrings to avoid cluttering your look.
- Match your necklace to your neckline: let it peek out through a plain shirt collar, a rounded line against a crew neck, a long necklace and pendant with a v-neck.
- If you have a larger bust, longer necklaces with a lower hanging chunky pendant work well- they draw the emphasis away from the bust.
- Likewise for shorter ladies, a longer necklace and pendant can work really well- it literally elongates your look drawing the eye downwards. Try it!
- And finally the statement necklace works brilliantly to take you from day to night- that’s one of the best things about this piece, it transforms a plain top and jeans or trousers. Take it with you to work and put it on when you’re re-touching your makeup for an evening out- you’re all set!